Odin»Forums
12 posts
Maybe/Optional Types
Edited by novus1044 on
I noticed in the core branch that Maybe exists as a member of an enum defining the type in a type info struct. What is the Maybe type? Is it similar to other languages optional types? Is it fully implemented yet and what exactly is the current syntax for it.

I won't keep hammering you with syntax questions but this would be useful for other programmers trying out the language to know as well.

Thanks.
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
I am ginger thus have no soul.
Maybe/Optional Types
Maybe or option types are pretty much the base type plus a bool. They do work however, I'm thinking about removing.

The current syntax is this:

x: ?int; // maybe int
x = nil; // zero value
x = 123; // store a value
v, ok := x?; // "demaybe" it where `ok` is the boolean checking if has a value defined

In a language with multiple return values and C-like* memory handling, I don't think maybe types are not that useful.

If people can change my mind by making maybe types in keeping with the language, I'll keep them.

*C-like as in no automatic memory management (but that's still not entire true with the custom allocation system).
12 posts
Maybe/Optional Types
Edited by novus1044 on
I will preface the following statements with the caveat that I am not a professional developer.

With that said, I agree that optional pointers may not be entirely useful given you can return multiple values.

The only idea I can really think of is using the ? operator as a signaling mechanism that basically collapses to a ^ pointer.

To be specific, you could do something like the following:

x: ?int;  // an optional pointer to an int, where ? has no language level effect

You would still deref the pointer using the ^ operator.

The ? would simply signal that the pointer could potentially be null or nil so you as a the programmer should insert a null/nil check.

I am not sure the utility of such a mechanism, but I figured I would throw it out there and see what you think.

Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
Maybe/Optional Types
Which is still a little redundant. `?int` is stored internally as `struct{int, bool}` not `^int`. A null/nil pointer deference isn't usually that much of a problem and I usually assert the hell out of the cases when it could be an unexpected problem. I know other programmers may not agree but it's not really a problem for me (or it's quick to solve with the debugger).

n.b. I understand what maybe/option types solve as any type system with a "special null" is problematic.
12 posts
Maybe/Optional Types
Edited by novus1044 on
I actually use asserts in my C code as well to cover the cases where I may receive a null pointer (ex. an argument passed to a function). I think we were talking past each other a little bit. I meant maybe you could change the ? operator's representation to be the exact same as the ^. To the compiler ^ and ? would be identical. It would be purely a mechanism to signal to a programmer that a pointer may be null.

After taking your post into consideration, the only benefit may be in clarifying return values to functions where you would have something like the following:

// Here the use of the ? instead of ^ signals that we may be returning a null pointer.
//If I store the result of the call in on the caller's stack I should make sure to check for a null/nil.
search :: proc( /*args*/ ) -> ?Value_Type 

vs.

//You would use the ^ here if you were for certain going to return a valid pointer and therefore wouldn't
//have to check the return value for the function.
search :: proc( /*args/ ) -> ^Value_Type

The code above is just to clarify my previous point. I am not strongly pushing for the optional type.

I do agree with you though null pointer deref isn't typically a big time sink to fix at least that has been my experience. It may very well be different for more experienced developers working in a more complex code base.
39 posts / 1 project
Maybe/Optional Types
For C, clang has type attributes _Nonnull, _Nullable and _Null_unspecified for use in function prototypes. All they do is help the static analysis along and issue a warning if it can detect misuse. It's a good idea, particularly at API boundaries where you can just read off the behaviour with respect to pointers without having to hope its documented.

I prefer that to doing it in the type system because it's transparent at the point of use--no 'constructing' a container type that's optimised away
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
Maybe/Optional Types
I've actually removed maybe types from the language after all of this.

I understand what you are saying graeme but that seems to be a bad API rather than a bad language. If I want to use `?` to mean a pointer dereferenced that get checked or something, that would be easy to add but as this isn't a "very high level" language, it would cause other problems such as verbose syntax.