Odin»Forums
Doeke
33 posts
None
Starter video
It would be really nice if you could make a video of how to set up everything.

For example there is:

run vcvarsall.bat to setup the path

It is that I follow handmade hero that I know about that.
When it comes to C, C++, Objective C, java, python, javascript etc. It is really easy to compile/run.
For Odin, I have really no clue what to do.

Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
I am ginger thus have no soul.
Starter video
I may write a little tutorial instead of a video. The reasoning behind this bizzare comment is that the compiler currently doesn't have it's own linker packaged with it and I'm leveraging MSVC's link.exe. This means that it requires having the path setup correctly.

Eventually, the compiler should have its own linker (and even backend) which eventually means you just have to have the executable and the "core" to get started.
Ethan Morgan
1 posts
C, Rust, Odin, Rust, Go. Newbie programmer, fascinated by Language Design, Compilers, Text Editors, Game Development
Starter video
It'll be brill if one was written up; Documentation would be awesome too at some point. It'll help build the community and support new users.
8 posts
Starter video
i want try and do a setup tutorial
so i got a sublime build that isn't using PATH

{
	"cmd": ["cd","C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC","&",
	"vcvarsall.bat","amd64","&",
	"directory/to/your/odin","run","$file"],
	"shell":true
}

is this ok to use? i only tested it on 2 computers so im not sure
Doeke
33 posts
None
Starter video
The tutorial would still be very welcome. Every programming language is driving me crazy in someway.
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
Starter video
Edited by Ginger Bill on
I am currently working on a "book": Odin by Example. And I'm working on a website to introduce the language with examples and information.

This will be released when it is done but I have no ETA for that.
1 posts
Bringer of electricity. Or something..
Starter video
Will this be something like a git book one can read as it's written or maybe contribute to? :)
Doeke
33 posts
None
Starter video
gingerBill
I am currently working on a "book": Odin by Example. And I'm working on a website to introduce the language with examples and information.

This will be released when it is done but I have no ETA for that.

Great!
Ginger Bill
222 posts / 3 projects
Starter video
It is a git book, Thor Odinson. To see a sneak peek of the book you can do so here: https://gingerbill.gitbooks.io/odin-by-example/content/

It is by no means finished nor is that layout and order finalized. This "book" will take some time to write.
Jesse
64 posts
Programmer at NASA GSFC
Starter video
gingerBill
... Thor Odinson...

I love the Norse Mythology word play.
Jesse
64 posts
Programmer at NASA GSFC
Starter video
vectors like [vector 4]f32

Does this signify a vector of 4 float components, or 4 vectors (the specific 'vector' being previous defined somewhere else) of float components?
Mikkel
57 posts
So you're probably here to find some information about what I've done, what I am doing and what sort of person I am right? well... Good luck!
Starter video
JesseMeyer
vectors like [vector 4]f32

Does this signify a vector of 4 float components, or 4 vectors (the specific 'vector' being previous defined somewhere else) of float components?

SIMD vector with 4 float components I believe.